Shooting death of Sumter, SC teenager in 2020 still unsolved

 Shooting death of Sumter, SC teenager in 2020 still unsolved


It has been more than a year since a 17-year-old’s body was found at an abandoned Midlands home, and no arrests have been made.

On Tuesday, the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office asked for help in its investigation into the death of Antwan Dukes.

The Sumter teenager’s body was found on Wilder Street on January 20, 2020, the sheriff’s office said. That’s near Manning Avenue, about 3 miles from downtown Sumter.

Dukes had been shot and died at the scene, Sumter County Coroner Robbie Baker said after an autopsy at the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.

A funeral service for the Sumter High School senior was held on Jan. 25, 2020 at New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church, according to Dukes’ obituary.

More than 15 months later, there is still no word on a shooter, or shooters, and a motive for the homicide.

Dukes’ mother, Angela Dukes, said “Someone killed my baby,” in a Facebook post.

In January of this year, she hosted a balloon release in Antwan’s memory, and has remained active on social media seeking justice for her son.

Anyone with information on the shooting is asked to call the sheriff’s office at 803-436-2000, CrimeStoppers at 888-CRIME-SC, or submit an online tip.

There is a $4,500 reward for information that could lead to an arrest, according to the sheriff’s office.

This is a developing story, check back for updates.

BEHIND OUR REPORTING

This is a breaking news story

In a breaking news situation, facts can be unclear and the situation may still be developing. The State is trying to get important information to the public as quickly and accurately as possible. This story will be updated as more information becomes available, and some information in this story may change as the facts become clearer. Refresh this page later for more updated information.

Profile Image of Noah Feit

Noah Feit is a Real Time reporter with The State focused on breaking news, public safety and trending news. The award-winning journalist has worked for multiple newspapers since starting his career in 1999.
Support my work with a digital subscription





Source link

Digiqole ad

Related post