Myrtle Beach is a city in South Carolina. As of the 2000 census, its population was 22,759.
Myrtle Beach is the largest city on the "Grand Strand" (which is also known as "Long Bay"), a stretch of land that consist of continuous beach from Calabash, North Carolina to Georgetown, South Carolina – over 60 miles (96 kilometers) ) in length. The whole area is a very popular vacation and tourist destination with numerous resorts, restaurants, and attractions. There are many golf courses in the area, and Myrtle Beach itself is sometimes known as the "Golf Mecca of the World".
The area as a whole, visits up to 10 million visitors each year, mostly during the summer months. The population of the city of Myrtle Beach can in fact be swelled by around 100,000 visitors during this period.
Some of the most popular attractions in Myrtle Beach include:
– Alligator Adventure
– Family Kingdom Amusement Park
– Medieval Times
– Myrtle Waves Water Park
– Ripley's Believe It or Not!
– Sun Fun Festival
– The Carolina Opry
Here is some more information about the area:
– Leading education institutions in Myrtle Beach include Coastal Carolina University and Horry-Georgetown Technical College.
– The principal airport serving Myrtle Beach is Myrtle Beach International Airport.
– The main professional sports team in Myrtle Beach is the Carolina League baseball team, the Myrtle Beach Pelicans.
– In February of each year, a track and field event known as the "Bi-Lo Myrtle Beach Marathon" is held in the city. This event includes a 5K run held on a Friday, and a half-marathon, a marathon and relay events, held on the Saturday. Upto 6,000 runners participate in the event, including around 2,500 in the full marathon, which actual begins before dawn so as to finish by 2.30 PM.